1. Read at least 50 books in 2011. As I said before, I haven't made a goal for myself before. I thought starting a little low would be a good idea. Within this 50 I have more specific goals as follow. (I realize they add up to more than 50.)
2. Clear off the books on my "Currently Reading" shelf. A few of the books on this list I started over a year ago. I really need to stop picking up new books and finish the ones I have started!
3. Read the Literature of LOST. Most of the books on this list were already on my list of books to read and I think reading through all of them will be fun as well as help me gain a little insight into the show.
4. Read at least half of Steinbeck's complete works. I am fan of Steinbeck. I love everything I have read but realized I haven't even read half of what he has written. He has a total of 30 books published (fiction and non-fiction) and I would like to read at least 15 of those this year, not including the ones I have already read.
5. Read the remainder of Palahniuk's works to date. One of my friends got me reading Palahniuk a couple years ago and I have enjoyed most of his old stuff. The newer stuff hasn't been as good (in my opinion) but I keep hoping he will surprise me. I have several of his books waiting to be read and I would like to get through them this year. Also, he comes out with another new one in Sept. that looks promising. We will see.
6. Complete one reading challenge. I have started a couple reading challenge through book clubs since joining goodreads but I have not yet followed through with one. I have not decided which one I will attempt but, at this point, I am leaning toward the Spring/Summer 2011 challenge for the College Students group.
7. Read more of the books I already own. I love Goodreads because I keep finding out about great new books but I also have a ton of books at home that I haven't read yet. This year I would like to focus on reading more of these.
8. Organize my "to-read" shelf. I have accumulated quite a collection of books that look interesting to me and I would genuinely like to read them all, if I had the time. Unfortunately, I don't have time to read everything I want and having such a large list makes it hard to chose something to read. I would like to go through this list and organize it somewhat.
9. Continue to review every book I read. I have been pretty good lately about reviewing books as I finish them and I would like to continue this. I would also like to make it a point to put a little more thought into the reviews and not stress about doing them right away.
10. Keep my reading goals updated with a blog. I got through the hard part and started this blog. One of my goals for the year is to continue to update my status as I read and keep up with the blog. I love to read but I am not a huge fan of writing and I think this will help me to expand my horizons a bit.
I've only read Invisible Monsters by Palahniuk. I really liked it, but I read it so long ago I'm fuzzy on most of the details. But I do remember, "Queen Supreme Brandy Alexander". I've also heard that his older stuff is much better than what he's releasing now. Didn't he just come out with a new book fairly recently?
ReplyDeleteI should have added your #10 to my list! My personal blog has been neglected lately. Blogging can take up a lot of time sometimes, but it is a lot of fun!
Thanks for sharing your bookish resolutions with us and I hope you'll participate in future Top Ten Tuesdays! :)
Jen at The Broke and the Bookish
Invisible Monsters was definitely my favorite. I would also recommend Fight Club and Survivor, if you are interested in reading more of his stuff. He came out with Tell-All sometime last year but I haven't heard much about it.
ReplyDeleteI will definitely join you guys for more Top Ten Tuesdays!
Wow-- those are great resolutions! I have #6 and 7 on my list as well. The books of Lost sound interesting-- E at Shredded Cheddar does similar reading themes-- she is reading books that the characters from League of Extraordinary Gentleman come from.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the Palahniuk back-catalogue - my favourite of his is Haunted.
ReplyDelete@Lesa - Thanks! Have you decided on a reading challenge to complete this year? I am still contemplating which to join! I haven't seen League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but that sounds like a fun idea too!
ReplyDelete@Philip Ellis - Thank you! I have Haunted but I haven't read it yet. I have heard some interesting things about it and haven't found the right mood to be totally grossed out yet.